01.13.21 Meeting Minutes
01.13.21 Meeting Minutes#
Happy new year!
Hooray for JupyterLab 3.0! Congrats and kudos who everyone who worked hard on it.
What are people working on?#
Go around the meeting area and ask.
#149 - Realized I needed to add more to lumino and not jupyter lab for the toggleable stuff
Tota11y toolbar (recommended by Thomas) is a potential tool for testing this.
How does a labeling something as a checkbox with ARIA roles differ from using a true HTML checkbox? Using HTML as intended usually works better, and screen readers will comment which one it is.
Needs help with setting up linked lumino JLab set up to test the work around roles that need to be assigned in lumino.
Everytime you make a change in lumino, rebuild lumino before JLab.
Going through #9491
Interest in creating a binder that also reflects changes in Lumino to help each other testing all these things.
Other times to pair program on this?
how to work on both lumino and JLab at once: https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab/blob/master/docs/source/developer/contributing.rst#testing-changes-to-external-packages
in progress lumino PR for ARIA roles for tabs: https://github.com/jupyterlab/lumino/pull/132
Martha may review?
Willing to provide support.
Posted https://github.com/jupyterlab/team-compass/issues/98#issuecomment-752748519 (thank you!)
If someone wants something to do that won’t step on other people’s toes, lot of elements need either to be hidden or revealed. Card: https://github.com/orgs/jupyterlab/projects/1#card-50646346 as part of #9399. I included a bunch of screenshots if you wanted to started working through it or section by section? https://imgur.com/a/6HvOcYK
Jason: not actively working on something here specifically, but still available for questions and discussion
Alex and Darian: not actively working on something here, but want to keep track and stay part of the discussion.
What we need to work on#
We need to take stock of what’s being worked on and split up the work we know we need to do.
Here is the project for tracking accessibility (should have all issues and PRs we know of)(can be reorganized if we have different needs for sorting).
First priorities include:
#9491 This will make it possible to evaluate JupyterLab with a screenreader so we can both be aware of more problems and actually check that fixes are working.
#9399 (broken up into steps on the project, click on card to make issue when we are ready to work on it). WCAG 2.1 specifications.
Editor? Is #4878 a first priority right now?
Right to left (RTL) language support?
We will likely be working in areas where these changes need to be made for labeling reasons, so we may want to see if we can include this support at the same time. Especially now that we have RTL language transalations for JLab to test it with (Gonzalo knows more). More info in issues #3046 and #1163.
Feedback on accessibility event funding.
Update: Probably shouldn’t rely on it. It’s status isn’t certain with the pandemic.